Dr. Jenny's Note:
DH and I loved this recipe from Bon Appetit's "Everyday Meals." We served with a salad.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 large garlic clove, pressed
- 6 large portabella mushrooms, stemmed, gills scraped out
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup plus 6 tablespoons finely grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, divided
- 6 slices heirloom tomatoes, sliced 1/3-inch thick (from 2 very large tomatoes)
- 7 -8 ounces Fontina cheese, thinly sliced
- 1Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat).
- 2Whisk extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and pressed garlic clove in small bowl. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
- 3Arrange portobello mushrooms on rimmed baking sheet, gill side up. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spoon generous tablespoon dressing into each mushroom; swirl to coat.
- 4Stir ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, and 2 Tb chopped fresh basil in small bowl to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 5Arrange tomato slices on plate; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 6Place mushrooms on grill, gill side down. Grill until edges begin to soften, 3-5 minutes, depending on thickness of mushrooms.
- 7Transfer mushrooms to same baking sheet, gill side up. Nestle one tomato slice into each mushroom.
- 8Divide ricotta cheese mixture atop sliced tomatoes, spreading to cover, about 3 Tb per mushroom. Top with Fontina cheese slices, dividing equally. Sprinkle 1 Tb parmesan cheese over each.
- 9Carefully return mushrooms to grill. Cover barbecue and cook until mushrooms are soft and cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle remaining chopped fresh basil over.
- 10Place mushrooms on plates. Drizzle remaining dressing around mushrooms and serve.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Portobello Parmesan
Serving Size: 1 (210 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 578.7
- Calories from Fat 430
- Total Fat 47.8 g
- Saturated Fat 19.6 g
- Cholesterol 100.0 mg
- Sodium 656.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 27.5 g