Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I fixed this dish along with a grilled lamb shoulder with verde salsa. (I will get that recipe on later). This is yet another Giada recipe. It is very easy and always a big hit.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra
- olive oil, for greasing grill pan
- 4 large portabella mushrooms, stemmed (about 5 inches in diameter)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 medium sized vine ripened tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 8 ounces fresh water-packed mozzarella cheese, drained, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil leaf
- Prepare the barbecue (medium-high heat).
- Drizzle 3 tablespoons of olive oil over both sides of the mushrooms. Sprinkle the mushrooms with salt and pepper. Drizzle olive oil on grill pan to prevent mushrooms from sticking. Grill until the mushrooms are heated through and tender, about 5 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, whisk the extra-virgin olive oil and garlic in a medium bowl to blend. Add the tomatoes, cheese, and basil and toss to coat. Season the tomato salad, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Place 1 hot grilled mushroom gill side up on each of 4 plates. Sprinkle with more salt and pepper. Spoon the tomato salad atop the mushrooms, drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil to finish, about 1 tablespoon and serve.
This is a wonderful recipe! I loved everything about it. No need to change a thing. This is a meal in itself! Thanks for posting. Made for PAC Fall 2009.