Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
The sweet-spicy marinade really intensifies the chicken's grilled flavors and elevates it to a new high for chicken! For a wonderfully deep maple flavor, use a dark amber syrup, if you can find it. Time does not include 30 minutes to 1 hour of marinating time.
- 1 large onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- kosher salt
- 59.14 ml pure maple syrup (real maple syrup only)
- 14.79 ml chinese chili paste with garlic
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds)
- Toss onion slices with 2 teaspoons of salt on a shallow dish. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Add maple syrup and chili paste and stir to combine.
- Add chicken breasts and coat completely. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Spray your grill with cooking spray and light it.
- Remove chicken from marinade and brush off most of the onion.
- Grill the chicken over a moderately hot fire for about 4 minutes per side, or until lightly charred and cooked through.
- Transfer to a platter and serve hot.
This was just yummy! I didn't have an onion...so I used onion powder sprinkled with salt...this was so delicious...I'm happy we made it...the sweetness along with the heat of he chili paste was spot on...thanks for posting!
This is fabulous & really appealed to our tastebuds. I made a few minor changes - used a whole onion, didn't salt it first (no time) & used 1 heaped tsp each garlic & sambal oelek (no chili paste with garlic). I cooked on the hotplate on the barbeque & also cooked the onions, which came out nicely caramelised. The chicken came out wonderfully tender & tasting awesome. Even the leftovers for lunch are great! Thanks for sharing this keeper.
Wow! This is outstanding! Sweet and slightly spicy and oh so yummy! We grilled this on a gas grill but I think it would be equally nice broiled in the oven or done inside on a Foreman type grill. So simple with just a few ingredients for a fast marinade yet the flavor delivered was primo! Scrumptious! Thanks again NcM!