Recipe by Sara 76
This delicious, simple dessert comes from "recipes +" magazine, January 2009. Be sure to buy an un-iced madeira cake!
Top Review by Julie B's Hive
Oh yum! Used the recipe from goodtoknow for the madeira cake and had to use my last meyer lemon as a substitute for the orange zest and juice. What a difference in grilling the cake, will probably make this again since it was a hit with the three of us. Made for recipe swap #56. Thanks for sharing.
- 250 g strawberries, quartered
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup icing sugar
- 250 g fresh ricotta
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, finely grated
- 225 g madeira cake, cut into 2cm slices
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Place strawberries, juice and 1 tablespoon of sugar in a small bowl; toss to coat strawberries. Cover with plastic wrap, chill for 30 minutes or until slightly syrupy.
- Meanwhile, place ricotta, zest and remaining sugar in a small bowl; mix well to combine.
- Heat a char-grill pan over moderate heat. Spray cake with oil. Cook for 1-2 minutes each side or until golden brown.
- To serve, transfer the cake to plates. Top with ricotta mixture and berries. Drizzle with syrup and serve at once.