Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 24 hrs
Cook 15 mins
Make this an entire meal with lots of lettuce as a base. Crunchy, sweet, salty, hot...you decide. Note: lemongrass paste can be used in place of fresh and may be purchased in the produce department of most grocers.
For the Steak Marinade
- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass, lower 3 inches tender stalks, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh gingerroot
- lime, juice of 1/2
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb skirt steaks, flank steak or 1 lb flatiron steak
- salt (optional)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 -2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar or 2 teaspoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 fresh red chili, de-seeded and minced (to taste) or 2 teaspoons sriracha chili-garlic sauce (to taste)
- 2 -4 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 pinch fresh ground black pepper
The Rest to Taste
- torn lettuce, romain, bibb, etc
- cilantro leaf, chopped (adds much so don't leave this out)
- basil leaves, chopped
- green onion, chopped
- shredded carrot
- sliced cucumber
- sliced tomatoes or grape tomatoes
- bean sprouts
- toasted sesame seeds
- Place the marinade ingredients (lemongrass through oil) into a blender or small food processor and blend or process until pureed.
- Place the steak into a ziplock bag and scoop the marinade into the ziplock bag. Close the bag, squeeze out the air and massage the bag to coat. Refrigerate for 2 - 24 hours to marinade. Before grilling, beef may be salted, if desired.
- Grill the meat over charcoal or gas grill for about 5-7 minutes per side. Avoid overcooking. Allow it rest for about 10 minutes before slicing into thin strips.
- Toss the desired salad ingredients with the dressing and lay over the grilled beef strips.