Recipe by WiGal
Posting for ZWT6. A variation from thenibble.com And after making myself I DID reduce the butter as Kim127 suggested. And after looking at momaphet's review and the original recipe I did reduce the sugar amount. Thank you both. Also think the caramelized onion is a wonderful suggestion.
Top Review by Kim127
What a fabulous lunch!! Loved the flavor of the spiced apples with the melty havarti!! Very easy to make. You can definitely cut the butter down a bit. I used about half. Made for a Seasoned Sailor and his Sassy Sirens ZWT6!!
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened, divided
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 8 slices rustic round loaf bread, thick slices
- 8 ounces havarti cheese, 8 thin slices
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add apples, sugar, cinnamon and cardamom; cook about 7 minutes, stirring frequently until most of the apple juices are reduced and the fruit is coated with a syrup.
- Remove pan from heat; set aside.
- Place four slices of the bread on a griddle.
- Top each with one slice of Havarti, 1/4 of the spiced apples, another slice of Havarti, and top with the remaining slices of bread.
- Butter the sandwich tops.
- Turn over and butter again.
- Place griddle over medium heat.
- Brown sandwiches on EACH side 3 to 5 minutes, until golden and Havarti begins to melt.
- Cool 5 minutes before serving.