- 8 slice white peasant bread or 8 slice whole wheat sourdough bread
- 29.58-44.37 ml butter, at room temperature
- 226.79 g gruyere cheese, thinly sliced
- 226.79 g thinly sliced smoked ham (such as Black Forest)
- 2-4 tomatoes, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread one side of each bread slice with the butter.
- On a clean work surface, place 4 slices buttered-side down.
- Divide the cheese and ham among those 4 slices.
- Place the remaining 4 slices of bread on top, buttered-side up.
- Heat a grill pan or a 12-inch skillet with a lid over medium heat until warm. Place the sandwiches in the skillet (in batches if necessary) and cook, covered, 3 to 5 minutes on each side, or until cheese melts and bread is golden brown.
- Cut each sandwich in half; slide in 1 or 2 tomato slices and serve hot.