Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
I found this recipe in Cook Illustrated. Makes a wonderful, tender flank steak
Make and share this Grilled Flank Steak With Shallot-Garlic-Rosemary Marinade recipe from Food.com.
- Marinade: Combine the shallot, garlic, olive oil and rosemary in a food processor. (roughly chop the ingredients before as the food processor will leave uneven chunks).
- Poke about 20 holes in the steak with a fork and repeat on the other side.
- Sprinikle the steak on both sides with 2 tsp kosher salt (or 1 tsp of table salt) Spread the marinade on both sides of the steak and refrigerate for 1 - 24 hours.
- Heat grill for about 10 minutes. Clean and re-season the grill with olive oil.
- With a papertowel, remove as much of the marinade as possible. (otherwise the garlic, shallot and rosemary would burn). Grind some fresh pepper over the steak.
- Sear 4 - 6 minutes on the first side. Turn and cook 3 - 4 minutes on the other side. Watch carefully as it can burn quite easily. With a paring knife, cut a small slit in the middle and check for doneness. Move to a cooler part of the grill and continue until rare.
- Remove from the grill while still pink -- cover with tinfoil and let sit for 5 minutes. (the steak will continue cooking while in the resting stage.
- Cut the steak across the grain.
Delicious and easy....
I didn't add the shallot, and I used a different cut of steak. But the steak turned out to be juicy and more tender than the same steak without the marinade. The flavor was good, and allowed the steak flavor to come through, but it was mild. You can add anything you want (like Montreal Steak Seasonings)