Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
not your everyday steak sandwich. Needs to marinate overnight. From Food and Wine 2001.
Make and share this Grilled Flank Steak Sandwich recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (1 3/4 lb) flank steaks
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄4 cup pure olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely chopped thyme
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 8 rosemary focaccia rolls or 8 other rolls, split
- 1⁄2 lb sliced imported provolone cheese or 1⁄2 lb Fontina cheese
- 8 lettuce leaves
- Brush the flank steak on both sides with the mustard. Put the steak in a sturdy resealable plastic bag and add the wine. Seal the bag, pressing out any air, and refrigerate overnight. Drain the steak, pat dry and bring to room temperature before grilling.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the olive oil and garlic and cook over low heat until the garlic is golden and soft, about 15 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the garlic to a small bowl; reserve the garlic oil. Add the thyme to the garlic and mash to a paste. Stir in the mayonnaise and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Light a charcoal grill or preheat a cast iron grill pan. Brush the steak with the reserved garlic oil, season liberally with salt and pepper and grill over moderate heat for about 15 minutes, turning once, for medium-rare meat. Transfer the steak to a cutting board to rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice the meat across the grain on the diagonal.
- Spread the garlic mayonnaise on the rolls and top with the flank steak, cheese and lettuce. Cut the sandwiches in half and serve.
Very good steak sandwiches - I skipped the wine but otherwise made as directed. Cooked the steak on the grill, so it took longer than indicated in the recipe. Used the Fontina cheese option and used regular sandwich rolls. Served with chips and fruit for a great dinner. Thanks for sharing!
A great great quick and delicious sandwich (dinner). Marinade definately be used for other reasons too. Only change is that I used swiss for the cheese, since I had that on hand.. Tagged and made for Holiday Tag.
This steak was just great! The marinade itself was wonderful and brushing with the garlic oil was a perfect addition - put this right over the top! I used light mayo, whole grain rolls, and provolone cheese. This was a terrific recipe that my whole family has already begged me to make again - thanks for sharing!