1/1 Photo of Grilled Flank Steak Sandwich
not your everyday steak sandwich. Needs to marinate overnight. From Food and Wine 2001.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (1 3/4 lb) flank steaks
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup pure olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped thyme
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 8 rosemary focaccia rolls or 8 other rolls, split
- 1/2 lb sliced imported provolone cheese or 1/2 lb Fontina cheese
- 8 lettuce leaves
- 1Brush the flank steak on both sides with the mustard. Put the steak in a sturdy resealable plastic bag and add the wine. Seal the bag, pressing out any air, and refrigerate overnight. Drain the steak, pat dry and bring to room temperature before grilling.
- 2Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the olive oil and garlic and cook over low heat until the garlic is golden and soft, about 15 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the garlic to a small bowl; reserve the garlic oil. Add the thyme to the garlic and mash to a paste. Stir in the mayonnaise and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- 3Light a charcoal grill or preheat a cast iron grill pan. Brush the steak with the reserved garlic oil, season liberally with salt and pepper and grill over moderate heat for about 15 minutes, turning once, for medium-rare meat. Transfer the steak to a cutting board to rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice the meat across the grain on the diagonal.
- 4Spread the garlic mayonnaise on the rolls and top with the flank steak, cheese and lettuce. Cut the sandwiches in half and serve.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Flank Steak Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (170 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 394.4
- Calories from Fat 248
- Total Fat 27.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 64.1 mg
- Sodium 435.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 28.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: