Prep 13 hrs
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I came across this recipe while looking for grilling recipes that are interesting and a bit different from the ordinary. Prep time includes 12 hour marinating time. Recipe source: Gourmet (June 2005)
- In a saucepan over med low heat cook shallots in the oil untl soft (4-5 minutes). Stir in garlic and ginger and cook two more minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in curry paste and cook 3 more minutes. Stir in coconut milk, brown sugar and salt and let simmer until reduced to 3 cups (30 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in fish sauce. Reserve 1 1/2 cups sauce and refrigerate.
- Trim and discard any excess fat from the hens and then brush hens with curry sauce. Place hens in bowl or ziplock bags and marinate with sauce for 12-24 hours.
- Let hens stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before grilling.
- Prepare grill.
- Remove hens from marinade and discard marinade. Season hens with salt and then grill skin sides down on an oiled rack, turning occassionally until done (30- 45 minutes).
- Heat reserved curry sauce in a small saucepan and serve with hens.
Great recipe. Didn't change a thing. I did use some mesquite wood chips and after I got some good grill marks on the skin side, I switched to an indirect heat method, covered and smoked them for 20 minutes. This one's a keeper.