Recipe by VanSmaq
This light, flavorful recipe enhances the flavor of the chicken and ends up with a tangy and sweet skin while keeping the meat moist and tender.
- 2 Cornish hens
- 4 tablespoons ponzu sauce, citrus flavored soy sauce (I recommend Ponzu)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
Directions See How It's Made
- If frozen, defrost Game Hens, rinse and pat dry with a paper towel.
- With a sharp knife, butterfly the game hens from the bottom of the hen through the cavity. Be sure not to slice through the breast bone.
- Place the game hens in a shallow roasting dish or casserole pan, breast side up and drizzle with two tablespoons of the soy sauce and one tablespoon of the lime juice. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Flip the game hens breast side up, drizzle the remaining soy sauce and lime juice over the breasts.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon, garlic powder and onion powder over the breasts. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and let sit for one hour.
- If you are using a charcoal grill, prepare coals.
- If using a gas grill, set burners to medium high heat.
- Place game hens breast side up and grill for 6 - 8 minutes. Flip to breast side down and grill for an additional 4 - 6 minutes. Flip game hen breasts up once more and continue to cook until a fork prick into the thigh yields clear juices.
- Remove from grill and enjoy.