Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Redolent of ginger and jalapenos, the tomato sauce is a lively addition to plain grilled chicken. If you like less heat, use only one jalapeno. Rice and beans or refried beans are typical Brazilian side dishes that taste especially good with chicken.
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 chicken, quartered (3 to 3 1/2 pounds)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeds and ribs removed, minced
- 1 1⁄4 cups canned crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro or 2 tablespoons parsley
- Light the grill.
- In a shallow dish, combine 3 tablespoons of the oil with two-thirds of the minced garlic.
- Coat the chicken with half of the garlic oil and season with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Grill the chicken over moderately high heat, basting with the remaining garlic oil, until just done, about 10 minutes per side for the breasts, 13 for the legs.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over moderately low heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining garlic, the ginger, and the jalapenos, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute longer.
- Add the tomatoes, the coconut milk, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of pepper.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro and serve with the chicken.
Yum! We loved this, and I followed the recipe exactly except that I grilled the chicken under the broiler. This went very well with Red Rice. I'll make this again, the sauce is a total winner! Thanks for sharing :)
I love grilled chicken and this was no exception. I served with sauteed chayote and roasted potatoes. Delicious. Not quite as good as my chicken with Alabama White Sauce, but still good! Thanks for sharing. Made for Culinary Quest Summer 2014 at Yuku.com.
Great chicken with great sauce. I preapared this dish for Culinary Quest 2014 and I'm glad I tried this out. I loved the sauce combination of tomatoes with coconut milk and I love the ginger addition very much. We enjoyed it with leftover rice and leftover pasta; the sauce was appreciated with both!<br/>Thanks a lot for this amazing dish!