Recipe by Christmas Carol
Grilled buttermilk waffles and ham topped with gooey cheddar cheese and a seasoned fried egg, then placed on a drizzle of maple syrup. From a supermarket "freebie" card I help myself to whenever available.
- 4 eggs
- 4 frozen buttermilk waffles
- 4 (2 2/3 ounce) cooked ham steaks
- 4 (1 ounce) cheddar cheese slices
- 1⁄2 cup pure maple syrup
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- orange wedge (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat grill to medium (300 F to 350 F/ 150 C to 180 C). Lightly coat an ovenproof skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Heat skillet on grill. (If you prefer, you can heat the skillet on stovetop over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes). Add eggs; cook 3-5 minutes or to desired doneness, turning once halfway through cooking.
- Meanwhile, place waffles and ham on grill. Grill waffles 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side. Grill ham 2 minutes; turn and place one cheddar cheese slice on each ham steak. Grill 1 1/2 minutes or until cheese begins to melt.
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons of the maple syrup on each of 4 plates. Place 1 waffle on the center of each plate; top with 1 ham steak. Place 1 fried egg on ham; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with orange wedges and extra maple syrup, if desired. Serve immediately.