1/3 Photos of Grilled Basil Lemon Turkey Breast
2 hrs 30 mins
2 hrs 15 mins
Our family and friends enjoy this and hope you do too. A flavorful layer of basil, lemon, garlic and romano cheese under the skin. I have the butcher cut one turkey in half and use one half for this. Use a meat thermometer- working towards at least 165 degrees-no one enjoys under or over cooked poultry and with charcoal grilling it is pretty tricky to have a standard that fits everyone. Dh puts the meat thermometer in thickest part right away at beginning of grilling. Servings and cooking time depend upon size of turkey breast. I serve with Summer Squash Dressing, roasted asparagus, coleslaw, and my Sour Cream Peach Pie . Hubby has made this several times.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Prepare your grill with chimney allowing about 30 minutes.
- 2Cut off lemon rind, remove outside white, discard or use for different purpose. Mince lemon pulp, discard seeds.
- 3Combine lemon, cheese, basil, and garlic.
- 4With fingers, carefully loosen skin from the turkey breast; place mixture under the skin.
- 5Rub oil on turkey skin and sprinkle liberally with lemon pepper. Don't forget meat thermometer into thickest part of turkey breast. Wrap wing tips and drumstick ends with foil so they don't char.
- 6Remove chimney, then dh uses 60 briquettes and divide them up with drip foil pan in center so heat will be around drip pan. Dh says it is a big mistake not having enough briquettes. Add water to drip pan, put on your grate.
- 7Place turkey directly onto grate, open cavity down.
- 8Grill, covered, vents open. Keep an eye on it, tent turkey if getting too dark. When turkey hits 165, measure into thigh joint where it meets body; it should be 170 degrees.
- 9For 7 pounds, we had on for 2 hours and 5 minutes BUT it depends upon the heat and size of turkey half, so use your meat thermometer. For our second turkey half we had a 6 pounder on 1 hour and 35 minutes.
- 10For 4 to 5 pounds, I am GUESSING 1 hour and 15 to 30 minutes? Use your meat thermometer to cook it to your preference.
- 11When done to correct temperature, remove to platter, cover with foil, and let rest for 20 minutes. That's your window to getting everything else done before you sit down to feast. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Turkey Breasts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Turkey Breasts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Basil Lemon Turkey Breast
Serving Size: 1 (279 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 7
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 459.1
- Calories from Fat 206
- Total Fat 22.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 171.6 mg
- Sodium 190.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 58.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: