Recipe by Adopted Parisian
A grilled, rather than baked, pizza with some unexpectedly delightful toppings. Use these ideas as a starting point and get creative with your toppings... the possibilities are endless! Enjoy with a salad and your favorite flass of wine! Cook time does not include dough's rising time. Can be ovenbaked if grill is not available.
Top Review by Tomato Head
This recipe was great! I was in a hurry so I used a thin crust store bought pizza crust and instead of pecorino cheese, I used goat cheese. Also, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar adds a nice zing.
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water (105 F to 115 F)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour, divided
- 12 ounces pecorino cheese
- 2 pears, halved, cored, thinly sliced
- 2⁄3 cup walnut pieces, coarsely broken
- 2 tablespoons honey
- freshly cracked black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- For crusts:.
- Pour warm water into large bowl. Add sugar; sprinkle yeast evenly over and stir to blend. Let stand until yeast dissolves and mixture looks foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Mix in salt and flour. Stir until slightly sticky dough forms.
- Sprinkle work surface with flour; roll out dough. Knead until smooth and slightly sticky, adding more flour if very sticky. Dust dough all over with flour. Place in large bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and towel. Let dough rise in warm area until doubled in volume, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Knead dough down. Dust lightly with flour. Divide into 4 equal pieces. Place on work surface. Cover with towel and let rest 30 minutes.
- Set grill to medium high heat. Working with 1 dough piece at a time, stretch and roll out on lightly floured surface to 9- to 10-inch round. Grill until grill marks begin to appear, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Transfer crusts to baking sheets.
- For toppings:.
- Thinly slice cheese; covering crusts, leaving 1/2" border. Cover cheese with single layer of pear slices (there may be some pear left over), then scatter walnuts over. Reduce grill to medium heat. Transfer pizzas to grill. Cover and cook until cheese softens and crust is golden on bottom, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer pizzas to work surface. Sprinkle with pepper; drizzle with oil and honey while hot. Slice and serve.