Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Recipe courtesy of Paula Deen.
Make and share this Grilled Apple, Bacon and Cheddar Sandwich With Roasted Red Onion recipe from Food.com.
Roasted Red Onion Mayo
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 slices sourdough bread, multigrain (1/2-inch thick slices) or 2 slices another hearty crusty bread (1/2-inch thick slices)
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked crisp
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 granny smith apple, cored, sliced thin
- On a small rimmed baking sheet, toss the red onion, olive oil, salt and pepper together.
- Roast in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes until the onion is very soft, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Transfer to a food processor and buzz until finely chopped.
- Add the mayo and pulse until smooth and combined.
- Preheat a seasoned grill pan or griddle over medium heat.
- Assemble this sandwich just as you would a traditional grilled cheese sandwich: spread 1 slice of bread with some Red Onion Mayo, then top with 2 slices Cheddar, the bacon, the apple slices, then 2 more slices of Cheddar, finishing with another mayo-slathered slice of bread.
- Butter the outsides of the bread and transfer to the hot grill.
- Grill about 3 minutes per side, since this sandwich is so thick.
- Remove to a cutting board and cut the sandwich in half on the diagonal to serve.
- ***Paula's instructions were for just one sandwich. Obviously, the red onion mayo will serve more than one person.
This was delicious! I made it exactly as stated and just the right amount of ingredients worked well for me. Loved the combination of these ingredients!
excellent sandwich! I made mine using greek pita and the panini grill. All the flavors worked together well, next time i will use more apple