Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Snake River Grill, Gourmet Magazine, December 1996.
Make and share this Grilled Ahi With Asian Vinaigrette and Straw Potatoes recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 cup peanut oil, Loriva
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh gingerroot, grated
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 1⁄2 teaspoon wasabi powder or 1⁄2 teaspoon wasabi paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown sugar, packed
For Straw Potatoes
- 2 large russet potatoes
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1⁄4 cup peanut oil, Loriva
- 18 large shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded
- 2 lbs fresh spinach, washed and dried
- 6 tuna steaks, 1-inch-thick
- olive oil
- Make vinaigrette:.
- In a blender blend vinaigrette ingredients 1 minute, or until smooth, and pour through a fine sieve into a bowl.
- Vinaigrette may be made 3 days ahead and chilled, covered.
- Bring vinaigrette to room temperature before using.
- Make straw potatoes:.
- Peel potatoes and with a mandolin cut into julienne strips.
- Rinse potatoes under cold water and drain well.
- Pat potatoes thoroughly dry with paper towels.
- In a deep heavy skillet heat 2-inches vegetable oil until a deep-fat thermometers registers 375 and fry potatoes in batches until golden brown, making sure oil returns to 375 before adding each new batch.
- Transfer potatoes as fried to paper towels to drain and season with salt.
- In a large heavy skillet heat peanut oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and saute mushrooms, stirring until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add spinach and saute, stirring, until tender but still bright green, about 1 minute.
- Prepare grill.
- Pat tuna steaks dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Brush steaks with olive oil.
- Grill steaks on a and oiled rack set 5-6-inches over glowing coals 1 1/2-2 minutes on each side for rare or 2 1/2-3 minutes for cooked-through fish.
- Stir 1/4 Cup vinaigrette into spinach mixture and divide among 6 large plates.
- Top spinach mixture with tuna.
- Pour 3 tablespoons vinaigrette over each serving and top with a mound of straw potatoes.