Snake River Grill, Gourmet Magazine, December 1996.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup peanut oil, Loriva
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh gingerroot, grated
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon wasabi powder or 1/2 teaspoon wasabi paste
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar, packed
For Straw Potatoes
- 2 large russet potatoes
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1Make vinaigrette:.
- 2In a blender blend vinaigrette ingredients 1 minute, or until smooth, and pour through a fine sieve into a bowl.
- 3Vinaigrette may be made 3 days ahead and chilled, covered.
- 4Bring vinaigrette to room temperature before using.
- 5Make straw potatoes:.
- 6Peel potatoes and with a mandolin cut into julienne strips.
- 7Rinse potatoes under cold water and drain well.
- 8Pat potatoes thoroughly dry with paper towels.
- 9In a deep heavy skillet heat 2-inches vegetable oil until a deep-fat thermometers registers 375 and fry potatoes in batches until golden brown, making sure oil returns to 375 before adding each new batch.
- 10Transfer potatoes as fried to paper towels to drain and season with salt.
- 11In a large heavy skillet heat peanut oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and saute mushrooms, stirring until tender, about 4 minutes.
- 12Add spinach and saute, stirring, until tender but still bright green, about 1 minute.
- 13Prepare grill.
- 14Pat tuna steaks dry and season with salt and pepper.
- 15Brush steaks with olive oil.
- 16Grill steaks on a and oiled rack set 5-6-inches over glowing coals 1 1/2-2 minutes on each side for rare or 2 1/2-3 minutes for cooked-through fish.
- 17Stir 1/4 Cup vinaigrette into spinach mixture and divide among 6 large plates.
- 18Top spinach mixture with tuna.
- 19Pour 3 tablespoons vinaigrette over each serving and top with a mound of straw potatoes.
Browse Our Top Tuna Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Ahi With Asian Vinaigrette and Straw Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (398 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 519.3
- Calories from Fat 374
- Total Fat 41.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 471.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.8 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 9.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: