Recipe by GREG IN SAN DIEGO
A hearty dinner, easy to assemble and prepare and sure to please. Serve with crusty French rolls or garlic toast and a green salad. A great weeknight dinner...start to finish in 20 minutes.
Top Review by *Parsley*
This is easy to make and filling. As written, I topped with Monterey jack cheese, but I chose smoked paprika over the regular variety. That really brought out more flavor and went nicely with the soup. I made this as written and although it was very good, I thought some more seasonings would be good. Next time I'd add smoked paprika while it cooks and maybe some cumin as well. Thanx for sharing!
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans kidney beans, undrained
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans Italian-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1⁄2 to 2 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green bell pepper (optional)
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
- paprika, pinch (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the chopped onions and bell peppers in a medium frying pan with the butter until the onions are translucent, about three minutes.
- Add the ground round and cook until not pink. Remove any fat by tilting the pan and soaking up the fat with a wadded paper towel.
- In a large saucepan, combine the kidney beans, stewed tomatoes and the cooked ground round mixture. Simmer over medium heat for 10 or 12 minutes, until hot.
- Ladel into (heated) soup bowls. Top with shredded Monterey Jack cheese, sprinkle with a pinch of paprika (optional) and serve.