Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe was in a local paper a number of years ago by Mrs May McIntyre. What a great way to use some of those green tomatoes Freezes well
- 5 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups finely chopped green tomatoes
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups walnuts
- 2 teaspoons orange rind
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Mix all the dry ingredients together (include sugar. walnuts, orange rind& spices) Beat eggs with vanilla and oil.
- Add egg mixture and tomatoes to dry ingredients.
- Mix but do not beat.
- Pour into 3 medium greased loaf pans.
- Bake in 350F oven for 45 minutes.
This is an excellent recipe; a great way to use green tomatoes! The batter is very thick, but the bread is light and very flavorful. Instead of disparing over tomatoes that don't ripen, I will be looking forward to them. Thanks Bergy.
This was great! I managed to break this down to just one loaf without much difficulty. The amount for vanilla was not listed, but I added 1 teaspoon for the one loaf and 3 for the 3 loaves. They raved about this at work, the neighbors loved it and even my husband liked it. I have some frozen in the freezer (made mini loaves) Thanks for the recipe!
Every one loved this !! Very flavorful and spicy. I did replace the oil with light sour cream and applesauce to lighten it a bit and was wonderful. Thank you !!