3 hrs 15 mins
The idea and most of the directions come from a Russian cookbook. This is a variation on the green schi, a green meat-based soup served with half a hard-boiled egg in the bowl. It is great when made with sorrel (and can be made with a jar of schav), but, lacking that, some spinach and some lemon juice will do. The original recipe calls for an unspecified cut of beef, but I like it with beef heart, the silken texture of which matches the green soup perfectly.
My Private Note
bowls o ...
Units: US | Metric
For the soup
- 1360.77 g beef heart (or just beef)
- 2839.08 ml water
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 (566.99 g) package frozen chopped spinach (or 2 bunches fresh sorrel, chopped, or 2 jars schav, or some combination of these)
- 1 lemon, juice of (less, if using sorrel instead of spinach)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 44.37 ml vegetable oil
- 59.16 ml flour
- 1Cut away as much fat and tough-looking parts from the meat as you can.
- 2Optionally, quickly brown the meat. You can add a piece or two of onion, while browning, to improve the flavor.
- 3Add the water and bring to the boil. Skim foam. Lower the heat, add the bay leaves, and simmer for 2-3 hours (or until the meat is tender when pierced).
- 4While the meat is cooking, heat the oil in a skillet. Add the onions and cook until golden and just beginning to turn brown.
- 5Add the flour to the onions and cook, stirring, until the onions are coated, and the flour is beginning to brown. Take off the heat.
- 6When the meat is done, take it out, cut it into bite-size pieces, and put back into the soup.
- 7Add the frozen spinach to the soup and raise heat to high. Heat to boiling, while breaking up the spinach. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook until the spinach is separated, 3-5 minutes.
- 8Add lemon juice and salt to taste. The soup should be slightly sour.
- 9Add the fried onions to the soup. Cook 1 minute.
- 10Pour the soup into bowls. Put into every bowl some chopped scallions (and some chopped parsley, if using) and half a boiled egg.
- 11Some people like to add sour cream or plain yogurt.
Browse Our Top Beef Organ Meats Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beef Organ Meats Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Russian-Style Meat Soup
Serving Size: 1 (470 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 232.3
- Calories from Fat 97
- Total Fat 10.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 246.3 mg
- Sodium 189.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 25.9 g