Recipe by Annisette
Rice-based dish with cashews, spinach, and seasonings.
Top Review by NcMysteryShopper
The fennel seed adds a surprising taste to this rice dish that takes it from pilaf to extraordinary. It complements the nutty flavor of the brown rice and the cashews are the perfect nut for this recipe. I would not try to substitute another nut. This would best be served with a dish that has the same flavors or that is not full of flavor. Great recipe! *Zaar World Tour 3*
- 6 1⁄2 ounces baby spinach leaves
- 2⁄3 cup cashew nuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 spring onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain brown rice
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons of fresh mint, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Shred the spinach leaves.
- Place the cashews on a cookie sheet and roast for 5-10 minutes, or until golden brown (watch carefully).
- In a large frying pan heat the oil. Cook onions over medium heat for 2 minutes, or until soft. Add the rice, garlic, and fennel seeds and cook, stirring frequently, for 1-2 minutes or until the rice is evenly coated.
- Increase the heat to high. Add the lemon juice, stock and 1 tsp salt. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 45 minutes without lifting the lid.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with spinach and herbs. Let sit, covered, for about 8 minutes. Using a fork, distribute the spinache and herbs through the rice.
- Adjust seasoning.
- Serve topped with cashews.