Prep 20 mins
Cook 18 mins
From Southern Living.
- 2 slices smoked bacon
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen sweet peas, thawed
- 1 teaspoon butter or 1 teaspoon margarine
- 1 tablespoon chopped of fresh mint
- Fry bacon in a skillet until crisp; remove bacon and drain on a paper-towel lined plate; reserve 1 teaspoon bacon drippings in skillet.
- Crumble bacon and set aside.
- Saute shallots in hot bacon drippings over med-high heat for 2 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in orange rind, orange juice, pepper, and salt.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until reduced by half.
- Add in peas; cook 5 more minutes; stir in butter and mint.
- Transfer peas to a serving bowl and sprinkle with crumbled bacon.
- Garnish with fresh mint sprig and orange rind curl if desired.
Don't like green peas. Thought that fancying them up with this interesting recipe would make them edible. Didn't, unfortunately.