Recipe by Barb G.
I have been making Green Corn Tamales for years. They are different than regular tamales and are time comsuming but well worth it. It really helps to have another person to help with the wrapping. My DH usually helps, he is good at husking the corn and clean up. I usually make when corn is in season & cheap. My family loves them. The original recipe comes from a restaurant and I made some changes.This makes 12 to 16 good sized tamales.
Top Review by FilipinoRose
This is green corn tamales at it's best! And doesn't cost me an arm and a leg! I was going to order them from a place in Tucson, AZ. forget it!!! My sister wanted me to mail her some but this is the best I can do. The only thing I would change in the recipe would be 1/2 cup sugar and 1&1/2 cup of cornmeal Thank you so much for sharing your recipe. I"ll use it often. Rose
- 24 ears corn, save husks
- 1⁄2 lb cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup sugar (I use Splenda) or 3⁄4 cup Splenda sugar substitute (I use Splenda)
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 -16 ounces cheddar cheese or 12 -16 ounces cheese, of choice cut into 1-ounce pieces
- 1 (24 ounce) can whole green chilies, cut into strips
- aluminum foil, for wraping (12 to 16 pieces 12x12)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut both ends of the corn, remove husks and save for wraping,(Put husk in water), cut corn kernels off the cob, use a spoon and scrap corn cobs.
- Place corn kernels in food processor, grind, Add cornmeal and grind together, set aside.
- Beat shortening and butter with electric mixer until creamy, add sugar, half and half and salt; ADD corn mixture and mix well.
- FOR each TAMALE, overlap two or more corn husk and spread some of the corn mixture onto the husk.
- Place one cheese strip and chile strips(I used about 1/2 of a whole chile in each tamale without seeds, seeds makes then HOTER your choice).
- Top with MORE corn mixture; Bring edges of husk over OR add another husk on top, to cover filling complety, Bring bottom of husk over tamale.
- Wrap in foil,lay tamale on foil, bring one side over, bring up the bottom, then bring other side over leaving top open.
- Place tamales upright in a steamer or large kettle with steamer basket in bottom.
- Steam for 45 to 50 minutes, enjoy.