I have been making Green Corn Tamales for years. They are different than regular tamales and are time comsuming but well worth it. It really helps to have another person to help with the wrapping. My DH usually helps, he is good at husking the corn and clean up. I usually make when corn is in season & cheap. My family loves them. The original recipe comes from a restaurant and I made some changes.This makes 12 to 16 good sized tamales.
- 24 ears corn, save husks
- 1⁄2 lb cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup sugar (I use Splenda) or 3⁄4 cup Splenda sugar substitute (I use Splenda)
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 -16 ounces cheddar cheese or 12 -16 ounces cheese, of choice cut into 1-ounce pieces
- 1 (24 ounce) can whole green chilies, cut into strips
- aluminum foil, for wraping (12 to 16 pieces 12x12)
- Cut both ends of the corn, remove husks and save for wraping,(Put husk in water), cut corn kernels off the cob, use a spoon and scrap corn cobs.
- Place corn kernels in food processor, grind, Add cornmeal and grind together, set aside.
- Beat shortening and butter with electric mixer until creamy, add sugar, half and half and salt; ADD corn mixture and mix well.
- FOR each TAMALE, overlap two or more corn husk and spread some of the corn mixture onto the husk.
- Place one cheese strip and chile strips(I used about 1/2 of a whole chile in each tamale without seeds, seeds makes then HOTER your choice).
- Top with MORE corn mixture; Bring edges of husk over OR add another husk on top, to cover filling complety, Bring bottom of husk over tamale.
- Wrap in foil,lay tamale on foil, bring one side over, bring up the bottom, then bring other side over leaving top open.
- Place tamales upright in a steamer or large kettle with steamer basket in bottom.
- Steam for 45 to 50 minutes, enjoy.
This recipe is wonderful. It's better than the corn tamale that I paid $12 for as an appetizer here in LA. I made a batch, and served them with a little side of mole sauce. Delicious, Barb! Thank you for sharing!
Wow Barb, this was great. I used to have relatives in Tucson that owned a Mexican restaurant and the green corn tamales were to die for. I am so happy that I found your recipe, my grown kids will be thrilled when I make these for them.
I made these a few months ago and they were fantastic. They were every bit as good, if not better than the ones I buy from a Mexican Restaurant for $3.00 each. My family was impressed. Muchas gracias!