1/2 Photos of Green Corn Tamales
1 hr 50 mins
Barb Gertz's Note:
I have been making Green Corn Tamales for years. They are different than regular tamales and are time comsuming but well worth it. It really helps to have another person to help with the wrapping. My DH usually helps, he is good at husking the corn and clean up. I usually make when corn is in season & cheap. My family loves them. The original recipe comes from a restaurant and I made some changes.This makes 12 to 16 good sized tamales.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 24 ears corn, save husks
- 1/2 lb cornmeal
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar (I use Splenda) or 3/4 cup Splenda sugar substitute (I use Splenda)
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 -16 ounces cheddar cheese or 12 -16 ounces cheese, of choice cut into 1-ounce pieces
- 1 (24 ounce) can whole green chilies, cut into strips
- aluminum foil, for wraping (12 to 16 pieces 12x12)
- 1Cut both ends of the corn, remove husks and save for wraping,(Put husk in water), cut corn kernels off the cob, use a spoon and scrap corn cobs.
- 2Place corn kernels in food processor, grind, Add cornmeal and grind together, set aside.
- 3Beat shortening and butter with electric mixer until creamy, add sugar, half and half and salt; ADD corn mixture and mix well.
- 4FOR each TAMALE, overlap two or more corn husk and spread some of the corn mixture onto the husk.
- 5Place one cheese strip and chile strips(I used about 1/2 of a whole chile in each tamale without seeds, seeds makes then HOTER your choice).
- 6Top with MORE corn mixture; Bring edges of husk over OR add another husk on top, to cover filling complety, Bring bottom of husk over tamale.
- 7Wrap in foil,lay tamale on foil, bring one side over, bring up the bottom, then bring other side over leaving top open.
- 8Place tamales upright in a steamer or large kettle with steamer basket in bottom.
- 9Steam for 45 to 50 minutes, enjoy.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Corn Tamales
Serving Size: 1 (4574 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 636.9
- Calories from Fat 280
- Total Fat 31.1 g
- Saturated Fat 14.2 g
- Cholesterol 53.8 mg
- Sodium 388.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 82.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 26.3 g
- Protein 18.1 g