Recipe by ellie_
I haven't made this yet but thought it would be great when there is no time to cook but need something quick. Served with a tossed salad this would be a complete Sunday night supper or a great dish for brunch. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (November 1982)
Top Review by Irmgard
Not being a fan of microwaved baked goods, I prepared this entirely in the oven, baking it at 375 degrees F for 50 minutes. I came out beautifully puffed and golden brown. For dietary reasons, I used egg substitute and low fat milk, as well as using Kraft Tex Mex mixture (Monterey jack, cheddar and low fat mozzarella). The filling turned out really well. My husband, who is a picky eater, asked for seconds so I know I have a winner with this recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (9 inch) pie crusts, baked (in glass or microwave safe dish)
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, diced
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 3 eggs, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle Montery Jack cheese and 1/2 cup of the Cheddar cheese evenly over the pie shell.
- Sprinkle green chilies (except for 2 tablespoons of green chilies) over the cheese.
- In a microsafe bowl combine half and half, salt and cumin and then cook on high for 2 1/2 - 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens. DO NOT BOIL.
- Whisk cream mixture into eggs, blending well.
- Pour mixture into pie shell.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese (1/2 cup) and chilies (2 tablespoons).
- Cook on medium (50% power) for 12-13 minutes or until set, turning dish halfway through cooking.
- Transfer to broiler and cook briefly (1-2 minutes) to brown.
- Let stand 2-3 minutes before slicing into wedges.