Recipe by Janet Musgrove
From my husband's sister, Jean. This recipe is submitted in her memory...no one could cook like Jean. Garlic juice, paprika, Season All & Worcestershire measurement are approximate; adjust to your taste. Use just about any cheap roast, bone-in or not. It will cooking long enough that it will be tender...a "can't fail" recipe if you use the "taste as you go" method.
- 4 -5 lbs beef roast, cut into cubes
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 fresh green chilies
- 1 teaspoon garlic juice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon Season-All salt
- 26 ounces chopped green chilies, canned
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown meat in bacon drippings. Add green pepper, celery, and onion. Season to taste with paprika, garlic juice , SeasonAll, Worcestershire sauce. (I recommend starting with 1-2 tsp paprika & garlic juice; 1 T SeasonAll & Worcestershire). Stir all together, lay green chiles on top. Cover & simmer (I repeat, simmer) about 4-5 hours. Add a little water at beginning & as needed during cooking time.
- After simmering, remove green chiles & place in cold water to loosen skin. While skin loosens, take potato masher & mash all meat mixture together. Scrape pulp from green chilies and add to mixture. Also add 26 oz of chopped green chiles & simmer a while longer. Lightly thicken with corn starch.
- Roll in a flour tortilla & ENJOY!