Top Review by freona
This was the first time I had made Chilie Rellenos and they were wonderful. The recipe was easy to follow and easy to make.I am sure we will be using this recipe again and again! Thank you
- 10 green chili peppers
- 10 ounces longhorn cheese or 10 ounces monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut cheese into slices 1/2" thick and the length of the chili.
- Make a small slit in chili just big enough to insert cheese(you can also poke in some slivers of onion at this point).
- Dip in batter and fry in hot oil or lard until golder brown.
- Drain and serve.
- May be garnished with green chili sauce if desired.
- To make batter, combine flour, baking powder, salt and cornmeal.
- Blend milk with egg;then combine milk and egg mixture with dry ingredients.
- Add more milk if necessary for smooth batter.
- Using a spoon, dip stuffed chilies in batter.