Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
From New Mexico Magazine. Add a pound of ground lamb or beef if you like. The "chili powder" should read chile, not chili, but the software keeps changing the spelling of the ingredient on me. It should be pure ground red chile, not chili powder, which has other ingredients added to it.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, coarsely chopped (or 2 cups canned)
- diced tomato
- 2 cups mild green chilies, peeled, seeded, chopped (freshly roasted or frozen)
- 4 cups coarsely chopped coarsely chopped small waxy potatoes
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon mild red chili powder
- In medium-size soup pot, warm olive oil over medium to high heat until hot but not smoking. Add diced onion and sauté until clear (about 3 minutes), stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Add garlic and cook 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook 3 more minutes, stirring to prevent burning.
- Add green chile and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add potatoes, water, salt, black pepper, and red-chile powder. Stir. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes, stirring occasionally until potatoes are soft. Remove from heat and serve immediately.