Recipe by pines506
From Fleishmann's yeast. Make sure to use the RapidRise yeast. This was so easy to put together and because of the rapid rise yeast, the rising time is relatively short. This may seem like a lot of steps, but it really does go together quickly. Cook time includes rest and rise time. My family declared this one of the top 3 breads I make. Great with a bowl of soup.
- 2 -2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelopefleischmann's fast rising yeast
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup very warm water (120-130F)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Chile and Cheddar Filling
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can diced green chilies, well drained
- 1⁄4 cup drained chopped ripe olives
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine 2/3 cup flour, undissolved yeast, and salt.
- Gradually add water and olive oil to flour mixture.
- Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixture, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes.
- Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
- Roll dough out to 14 x 10-inch rectangle. Sprinkle evenly with Chile and Cheddar Filling (see below) to within 1/2 inch of edges; pat down lightly.
- Beginning at long end, roll up tightly as for jelly roll. Pinch seam and ends to seal.
- Taper ends by gently rolling back and forth to make 16-inch long roll.
- Place, seam side-down, on greased baking sheet.
- Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until almost doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- Brush loaf with Egg Glaze.
- With sharp knife, cut three 4-inch diagonal slits at the center of loaf, deep enough to expose filling. Bake at 400F for 18-20 minutes or until crust is golden. Cool 5 minutes before removing from sheet.
- Serve warm.
- Chile and Cheddar Filling:.
- In a bowl, combine cheese, chiles, olives and green onions. Stir until well blended.
- Egg Glaze:.
- In a small bowl, combine egg white and water. Stir to blend.