Recipe by Chicagoland Chef du Jour
I LOVE this! The fennel bulb adds a delicate flavor. Adding the seeds further adds to the flavor of the fennel. I have used both fresh & frozen pearl onions, Using frozen pearl onions works out great without all the fuss of removing the skins off fresh onions. You can roast the onion & fennel bulb and make the buttery paste a head of time. Then combine with the hot green beans. Veggie amounts are flexible. This is amazing and a great side to serve with chicken, pork of beef. Source of Recipe: Inspired by Emeril & tweaked by Moi.
- 1 large fennel bulb, remove and discard stalks, trim bulb, remove core, and slice into medium strips
- 2 cups white pearl onions, trim ends, peel and left whole, can use frozen
- 12 -16 ounces French haricots vert, fresh, can sub. green beans, clean and trimmed
- 1 -2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon zest, finely grated
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed, amount to your preference, I use less than 1 teaspoon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- In a large bowl or plastic zipper bag combine onions, fennel slices, EVOO, salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Spread evenly in a single layer on a prepared baking sheet sprayed w/ oil. Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Roast fennel and onions until softened and lightly brown, about 30-40 minutes. This can be done ahead of time.
- Crush fennel seeds to release the oil, I use a mortar & pestle.
- COMBINE: to make a buttery paste and set aside; 1-2 T EVOO, 2 T butter, 1/2 t sea salt, lemon zest, pepper, fennel seeds. This can be made ahead of time.
- In the mean time, steam green beans until crispy tender or desired tenderness.
- In a serving bowl, combine roasted fennel and onions, green beans, add the buttery paste mixture to coat.
- Serve hot / immediately.
- Serve 4-6.