Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Food & Wine. This is meant to be served as a first course.
- 1 lb French haricots vert or 1 lb young green beans
- 4 ounces thickly sliced cured ham, such as Bayonne ham or 4 ounces prosciutto, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon small basil leaves
- 1 cup gruyere cheese (about 2 1/2 ounces)
- In a pot of boiling salted water, cook the beans until tender, about 8 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold running water. Spread the beans on paper towels to dry.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet. Add the ham and cook over high heat just until slightly crisp, about 1 minute. Transfer the ham to paper towels to drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the sherry vinegar, salt and pepper. Whisk in the olive oil. Add the chives, shallot and basil and mix well.
- Add the beans, ham and cheese shavings to the bowl and toss gently. Serve at once.