Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
This green bean casserole is a family tradition. My grandmother makes this every Thanksgiving. Absolutely the best! Simple and easy, but the flavor is so good!
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans cut green beans, drained
- 1 1⁄3 cups French-fried onions (French's)
- Combine soup, milk and pepper in a 1 1/2 qt baking dish; stir until blended.
- Stir in beans and 2/3 cup fried onions.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until hot.
- Sprinkle with remaining 2/3 cup fried onions.
- Bake 5 more minutes or until onions are golden.
Always delicious! I precook the green beans with onion and garlic. Plus I crisp up the french fried onions in the microwave for a few seconds prior to mixing them in with the rest of the ingredients to keep them from getting too mushy while cooking.
This is the recipe I go to when making green bean casserole, except I add a couple of dashes of soy sauce. The addition of that makes all the difference.
This was a huge hit of Thanksgiving and I will definitely be making again for Christmas. Here is what I did differently however.
Used 1/2 chopped white onion.
Used fresh green beans, boiled for 10 minutes then dunked in icewater
Took 1 package bacon and cut off two inches of the end, ten chopped the ends into bits.
Cooked onion and bacon, added in green beans in large skillet
Added cream of mushroom soup and half of the french's onions. Mixed and baked for 20 minutes
Pulled casserole out, put the rest of frenchs onions on top and baked another 10 minutes