Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
These cupcakes are based on a Greek cake made with yogurt called yiaourtopita, which translates into yogurt pie but is basically a syrupy yogurt cake. This version is lighter; has fewer eggs and does not contain butter. From the blog olivetomato
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees F (180 degrees Celsius),and line a muffin pan with muffin liners.
- In a large bowl mix sugar and olive oil, add the eggs and mix.
- Add the yogurt, lemon peel and lemon juice and mix well.
- In another bowl blend flour with baking powder.Add the flour ½ a cup at a time to the batter while mixing.
- Fill the muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let them cool in the pan for about 5 minutes and remove and let them cool completely. When cool drizzle with glaze.
- Lemon Glaze.
- Add powdered sugar to lemon juice stirring with a spoon until you have a thick consistency that is pourable. The ratio is about ½ cup powdered sugar for every tablespoon of lemon juice. Start with the smaller amount and make more if needed.
These were awesome! I was afraid these wouldn't work out because I couldn't keep the olive oil and sugar from separating but the yogurt made it all work. The texture is wonderful - so moist. Made for ZWT9.