Prep1 hr 40 mins
A few simple ingredients give you one amazing bread. You can also add your own mixture of herbs into this bread... maybe a bit of oregano or coriander?
- Mix the flour, salt and yeast together and then stir in the warm water and olive oil to make a soft dough.
- Transfer to a floured surface and knead for five minutes until springy, using extra flour if it's too sticky.
- Shape into a ball, brush over a little more oil, cover and leave to rise in a warm place until it doubles in size.
- This should take about an hour.
- Knead again on a floured surface and divide into six pieces, rolling each chunk into a ball.
- Leave to rise for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 240 C or 475 F.
- Meanwhile, roll the balls flat until they're only 3mm or 1/8 of an inch thick and about 17cm or 7 inches across.
- Place on greased baking sheets, cover with a tea towel and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Spray the dough with water and bake for two minutes.
- Check to make sure they haven't gone hard and if not, bake for a couple minutes more.
- You want them firm but not hard or brown.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately with dips or as a wrap for all sorts of fillings.
- Great with kebabs!
- If you must serve them later, you can brush them lightly with oil and then reheat them by briefly heating them in a frying pan.
I have never been good at baking, especially yeast bread. This recipe couln't be easier! Not only that, but the flatbread was incredibly soft and delicious! I actually used white whole wheat flour. I figured out the conversions for the ingredients and thought I'd list them for anyone else in need: 4 1/2 c. flour 1 1/4 c. water 2 t. yeast Thankyou for posting this recipe. I'm planning on making these again this coming week with some lemon rice Greek soup and gyros with yogurt sauce and hummus. YUM! I've been inspired!
Made half a recipe for three flatbread. Turned out great and used with How to Make Dried Chickpeas in a Crock-Pot.<br/>Will use the leftover for sandwich.
This was a family pleaser! Roll it thinner than you thin,pm, because it will puff up a little.