Recipe by AlaskaPam
This is a wonderful bread with feta cheese. It looks delicious! I adapted it from a Greek Food blog (Authentic Greek Recipes)
Top Review by Annacia
This bread is delicious and has a marvelous light interior texture and the crust is chewy. The only thing I would do differently would be to mix the oregano and feta into the dough instead of having it all on top. The cheese became too hard to eat around the edges and the rest fell off in cutting and eating. I used fresh oregano and that too would have been better spread through the bread. It's quite easy to make and I'll make it again with putting the goodies into the dough.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 lb feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄4 ounce active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon honey
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon oregano
- 3 1⁄2 ounces olive oil
- 1⁄2-1 cup water (as needed)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the flour in a bowl and mix in the salt evenly. Mix the honey and the yeast with the 1/2 cup of water. Make a small dip in the center of the flour and add the yeast/honey water. Mix just a small amount of the flour into the yeast/honey water and cover the bowl and set it in a warm place for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, mix in the rest of the flour, along with enough additional water to make a soft, but not sticky dough. Mix the additional water in a little at a time. Gather the dough into a ball and turn it out onto a working surface and knead it until it is smooth and pliable (about 10 minutes).
- Put the dough back in the bowl, and cover it with plastic wrap and let it rise in a warm place until double in size.
- Brush a shallow oven dish with oil and place the dough into it. Flatten the dough out with your hands, to cover the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle the crumbled feta cheese evenly over the dough and press it in with your fingers. Sprinkle the oregano evenly over the cheese. Brush the edges of the dough with olive oil and pour the rest of the oil over the cheese.
- Let the dough rise uncovered for 30 mins and place in a preheated 450 oven for 30 mins, or until it has a golden color.