Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Rib-sticking and economical with a mediterranean flair! Serve with warm pita breads and crisp Greek salad!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 medium celery ribs, sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons dill weed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 8 cups water (2 quarts)
- 1 lb great northern bean, sorted,soaked overnight,rinsed,and drained
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (optional)
- Heat olive oil in large pot; add onions, and saute until tender.
- Add carrots, celery, parsley, and dill weed; cook until carrots are glazed, 5-7 minutes.
- Mix in tomato paste, water, and beans; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover.
- Simmer over low heat 1 or more hours or until beans are tender.
- Stir in lemon juice, if desired, just before serving.
This was very economical and good for a bean lover. But, it needed quite a bit of spice. We added chicken broth and a lot of salt and pepper. Twice the dill it called for. But, for a cheap soup, it was good.
This soup was OK but it was missing something - what, I don't know. I used all of the listed ingredients and even added some garlic and chicken bouillion but even that did nothing to liven up the taste.