Prep 40 mins
Cook 15 mins
The hard long work pays off, I got it from a chef mate and he got it off his grandma. he tells a story of his grandfathers aussie neighbours couldnt believe he would cook up very cheap fish bait (babby octopus)for his family. that was untill he tried it, and my family has been eating it ever since.
- 1 kg baby octopus
- 300 ml water
- 60 g chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 150 g butter
- 50 ml cream
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 shallots
- cognac, to taste
For the marinade
- 300 ml olive oil
- 1 lime
- 1 lemon
- Place the octopus and garlic in a pot with water and bring to boil.
- Add baking powder and simmer for 40 minutes.
- To prepare the marinade;.
- In a bowl add 300ml of olive oil, juice of one lemon and lime, salt.
- and pepper.
- When the octopus is tender rinse it in cold water.
- Place in the.
- marinade and leave overnight.
- The following day, grill on a hot plate until lightly coloured.
- Flambé cognac in a fry pan, add the butter and slowly melt, whisking.
- Add a touch of cream and worcestershire sauce and whisk.
- till they are all combined.
- Finish with shallots.
- Serve on a bed of rice with the cognac sauce poured all over.
This one is all about the marinade. The lemon-garlic-salt combination is what works.
The preparation method and overnight marination made the fairly average baby octopus I was cooking super succulent! I was serving with a few other dishes so served over salad with grilled vegetables at the side which worked great as well although I'm sure the rice would be the best match when cooking as a single course.