Top Review by paxsarah
This was really quite nice. I added some spring onions instead of the chives, and oven-roasted the asparagus. The crust is different, but it's nice and crispy - my 3-year-old was able to pick it up and eat like a slice of pizza. I will definitely make this again, with whatever vegetables I have on hand.
- 1 (10 inch) pie crusts (see Greek Baking Powder Pie Crust)
- cooking spray
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 lb fresh asparagus
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup shredded gruyere or 1⁄4 cup swiss cheese
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Press Greek Baking-Powder Piecrust into a 10-inch quiche dish coated with cooking spray.
- Combine eggs and egg whites in a medium bowl; beat well with a whisk. Brush 2 tablespoons egg mixture over crust; set remaining egg mixture aside. Bake for 7 minutes; cool on a wire rack.
- Snap off tough ends of asparagus; remove scales with a knife or vegetable peeler, if desired. Cut asparagus into 5-inch pieces. Steam asparagus, covered, 5 minutes or until tender. Rinse under cold water. Drain well; set aside.
- Add skim milk and remaining ingredients to remaining egg mixture in bowl, and beat well. Pour into prepared crust. Arrange steamed asparagus spokelike in egg mixture, alternating stems and tips.
- Bake tart at 375° for 35 minutes or until a knife inserted near center of tart comes out clean.