1/8 Photos of Great Pumpkin Meatloaf
1 hr 15 mins
Cucina Casalingo's Note:
Trick or Treat supper baked in a pumpkin. It is amazing how much less candy is gobbled up en route home on Halloween night if the kids start out with tummies happily full of nutritious food. To capture goblins attention before they go on their appointed rounds, serve Great Pumpkin Meatloaf. This fascinating jack-o'-lantern with a meatloaf inside will intrigue goblins, both young and old. Cut the jack-o'-lanterns in wedges and serve as a meat and vegetable in one. To accentuate the bland flavor of the pumpkin, the inside is spread with honey mustard before filling. The meatloaf mixture, enhanced with the zesty flavor of Worcestershire sauce is baked right inside the pumpkin. Complete this nourishing supper with oven roasted potatoes, celery sticks, cucumber slices, whole wheat dinner rolls and milk, plus a crispy apple for desert. This is not an "adult" dinner, but a pleasurable and fun meal for all that are young at heart. Almost any meatloaf recipe can be cooked in a pumpkin, so feel free to experiment. It's all about the presentation! Cooking times may vary depending on the size of the pumpkin and the meatloaf recipe used. (WW 6 points)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut top from pumpkin in a zig zag design.
- 2Remove seeds and stringy insides.
- 3Place pumpkin in a baking pan; add about 1 inch of hot water.
- 4Cover pumpkin and pan with foil.
- 5Bake at 400 degrees F. for 45 minutes. (Or microwave for about 14 minutes.).
- 6Season inside of pumpkin with salt and pepper; brush with honey mustard (or yellow mustard and sprinkle with brown sugar).
- 7Combine egg, Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt, ground beef and bread crumbs; mix well.
- 8Spoon into pumpkin shell, packing down lightly.
- 9Return to oven and bake, uncovered, 45 to 60 minutes, until the pumpkin is tender and the meatloaf is cooked. (The internal temperature should reach 160 degrees F.).
- 10You may cook the "lid" of the pumpkin along with the meatloaf, however, watch it and remove when it is cooked and still looks attractive.
- 11Remove and let rest for 5 -10 minutes.
- 12Be creative with garnishes.
- 13Cut into 6 wedges to serve.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Great Pumpkin Meatloaf
Serving Size: 1 (144 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 313.9
- Calories from Fat 171
- Total Fat 19.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 108.2 mg
- Sodium 385.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 23.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: