Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
From great great aunt Jessie's recipe scrapbook -- this one comes from The Louisville Times and is dated November 13, 1952. The rest of her page consisted of how to roast a turkey and make stuffing. I figured 50's version was not as exciting to share but this recipe looked interesting.
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, cooked
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup melted shortening
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons orange rind
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- Mash potatoes.
- Add egg, milk, salt and shortening.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Form into 3 inch patties and roll in bread crumbs.
- Place in shallow, greased baking pan.
- Bake in moderate oven (400°F) for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime combine orange juice, rind and sugar in saucepan.
- Boil gently 5 minutes.
- Add cranberries and cook 5 minutes longer.
- Place spoonfuls of cranberry-orange sauce over each patty and continue to bake 5 minutes longer.
- Serve immediately.
Am a big fan of both the berries & the potatoes, so this was just waiting for me to grab! I had to get into my stash of frozen cranberries, but it was worth it ~ THESE PATTIES ARE VERY, VERY NICE, & I'll be keeping this easy-to-make recipe around! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Bargain Basement tag]