Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is the ultimate in meat-and-potatoes comfort food. Don't even look at the nutritional information if you're dieting! While I didn't have the source written down, I'm pretty sure that this comes straight from Julia. Nobody could combine potatoes, cheese, and butter like her. ;)
- Preheat oven to 425-degrees.
- Slice potatoes 1/8-inch thick.
- Place in basin of cold water, and drain when ready to use.
- Rub the baking dish (10X2) with the cut garlic.
- Smear the inside of the dish with 1 Tablespoon of the butter.
- Drain the potatoes and dry them in a towel.
- Spread half of them in the bottom of the dish.
- Divide over them half the salt, pepper, cheese and butter.
- Arrange the remaining potatoes over the first layer and season them.
- Spread on the rest of the cheese and divide the butter over it.
- Pour on the boiling stock, and set in upper third of preheated oven.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until potatoes are tender, stock has been absorbed, and top is nicely browned.
- Let sit at least 5-10 minutes before serving, as stock will still absorb slightly, and dish will thicken.
- Goes very well with roast beef, pork, lamb, steaks or chops.