Recipe by Expat in Holland
This recipe I first cut out of Bon Appetit a yearor so ago. I have changed a couple of items due to taste and unavailability of certain items here in Holland. This is a wonderful dish to be served aside any grilled beef or chicken. The smell coming from the oven will drive everyone at home mad! The recipe may easily be doubled. It is best if you use a glass baking dish.
- 2 lbs baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch rounds
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon parsley, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a glass baking dish. Layer 1/3 of potatoes on bottom of dish, slightly overlapping.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 of garlic, 1/3 of salt, 1/3 of pepper, 1/3 of tarragon, 1/3 of parsley and 1/3 of cheese. Repeat layers 3 times. (garlic will only go into 2 layers).
- In a bowl combine cream and wine. Wisk well. Pour all over baking dish.
- Bake at 400, uncovered, for 1 hour. Remove from oven and let set for 5 minutes.