Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Very simple and delicious recipe from James Beard
- 3 -4 large potatoes, cut in thin slices
- 1 cup heavy cream, to taste
- 2⁄3 cup grated gruyere cheese
- salt, to taste
- Wash the potato slices well and dry them on a towel.
- Pour a thin layer of heavy cream on the bottom of a 9" by 12" baking dish and alternate layers of potatoes and cheese.
- Top with cream.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover with foil and place in a pan of hot water.
- Bake at 350°F until the potatoes are just tender.
- If all the cream has been absorbed, add more.
- Remove from pan of water, take off foil and replace in the oven to brown lightly.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with cheese and brown again.
- This is delicious served with baby lamb.