Gratin of Chayote (Mirliton or Vegetable Pears) and Acorn Squash
- Preheat oven to 350F and butter a 9 x 12 baking pan.
- Boil whole squashes for 20 minutes or until almost tender.
- Peel, halve, seed, and coarsely chop cooked squash.
- One at a time, whisk cream, garlic, chiles, cayenne, nutmeg, and garlic salt into eggs.
- Layer baking dish with half the acorn squash, top with chayote squash, then add remaining acorn squash.
- Scatter jalapeño, onions, and bell peppers evenly on each layer.
- Pour seasoned egg mixture over squash and bake for approximately 15 minutes or until custard sets.