Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Posting for ZWT
- 2 cups coarse sea salt
- 16 large oysters
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 lb sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- kosher salt and fresh ground white pepper
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon dry vermouth
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 pinch cayenne
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the butter in a pot over medium heat. Add half the onions and cook until softened, 5–7 minutes. Add 1⁄2 cup of the wine, sauerkraut, and salt and pepper; boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer, partially covered, 8–10 minutes. Drain the sauerkraut mixture and set aside.
- Heat remaining butter in a pot over medium heat. Add remaining onions; cook until softened, 5–7 minutes. Add oyster liquor, remaining wine, 1⁄2 cup cream, and vermouth and bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium-low; reduce by half, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat; whisk in egg yolk and remaining cream. Add cayenne and season with salt and pepper. Set sauce aside.
- Heat broiler with rack 4" from element. Divide sauerkraut between shells; top each with an oyster. Spoon some sauce over each and broil until light golden brown, about 5 minutes.