Recipe by gcschorer
Based on a recipe in Mark Bittman's Kitchen Express. If you like ideas, rather than step-by-step instructions with precise quantities, it's an excellent book. This takes a little effort, but it's worth it. Consider all quantities to be approximately true, since I didn't write anything down when I was making this.
- 3 chicken breasts (boneless)
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 0.5 (8 ounce) box angel hair pasta
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 grapefruits
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parsley (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Begin heating 2-3 tbsp of olive oil in a pan (enough to cover the bottom) over medium heat. Begin boiling water for pasta on another range unit.
- Crack the egg into a mixing bowl and beat.
- Place chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap, and pound them out to about 1/2" thickness.
- (Optional) Slice chicken breasts into more "manageable" pieces. I went for roughly 4"x3" pieces. I ended up with about 8 of these.
- Dip the chicken into the egg, then into the breadcrumbs.
- Fry the chicken until golden brown (3-5 minutes per side, depending on your oven/pan). Dry the chicken on paper towels to remove the excess oil.
- The water for the pasta should be boiling at this point. Add the pasta and cook until desired tenderness. When done, put in a bowl and mix in butter/margarine.
- Drain the pan of most of the olive oil, leaving perhaps 1 tablespoons Turn the heat down to medium-low.
- Mince the garlic and add it to the pan and cook until soft and beginning to brown.
- Squeeze the juice of both grapefruits into the pan and add in the honey.
- Simmer and reduce until desired consistency.
- Presentation: Put a bed of pasta on the plate. Top with 2 of the pieces of chicken. Drizzle the chicken and pasta with some of the sauce. Top with chopped fresh parsley and shredded Parmesan cheese. I also sprinkled some crushed red pepper on top.