Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
A quick easy breakfast or snack that the kids love! Packed with protein and full of antioxidant-rich dried fruit and healthy nuts and seeds, these bites will be sure to please. I didn't follow the directions, of course, but ground up all the almonds and oats. It still came out great! I also ran out of rolled oats, so added oat bran. I think next time I'll also grind the sunflower seeds. Use any combination of dried fruits - any will be great! I also did not roll the balls in the almond/oat mixture, but just included it in the ball mix.
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 3⁄4 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄3 cup dried apple, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup dried apricot, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup dried raisins or 1⁄3 cup cranberries or 1⁄3 cup blueberries
- 2 tablespoons raw sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter (or any nut butter)
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- Place almonds and 1/4 cup oats in bowl of food processor, process to fine crumbs.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining oats, dried fruits, sunflower seeds, coconut and cinnamon.
- Add peanut butter, honey and extract: combine well until mixture begins to stick together.
- Use moist hands to form mixture into 1 inch balls, coat lightly with almond-oat mix.
- Place in an airtight container, separating layer with parchment paper or plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight to allow oats to absorb moisture.
YUM! What a great idea... i followed the recipe almost exactly... i was too lazy to toast the almonds, but I think I will try it next time for a little extra flavor. I also used old-fashioned oats rather than quick-cooking, but they still turned out great and were easy for the kids to eat. I used apples, apricots, raisins, and cashew butter. I will definitely be making these again and probably double the recipe as they are going pretty fast. (I like it that they are refrigerated... makes them cool for a summer snack... and the oats really do absorb the moisture well) Thanks for posting... i'll be sharing this recipe with lots of people!
My kids love these. I used nutella and dried mangos and raisins. It made it so easy to just through everything except the nutella and honey in a food processor. Thanks I will be making these again!