Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
These granola bars have less sugar than many of the recipes I found; and no corn syrup!
- 2 cups oats (I used quick oats)
- 1⁄2 cup flax seed, whole
- 2 cups Fiber One cereal, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup roasted sunflower seeds, ground slightly
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter
- 1⁄4 cup apple butter (or any other fruit butter)
- 1 mashed banana
- 1 egg, whisked
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2-1 cup raisins
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
- Grease/butter/Non-stick spray a 9 by 13-inch glass baking dish and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread the oats, flax seeds and walnuts onto a half-sheet pan. Place in the oven and toast for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In the meantime, combine the honey, peanut butter, banana, vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt in a medium saucepan and place over medium heat. Cook until warm and combined.
- Let cool slightly, then mix in apple butter and egg.
- Mix wheat flour, Fiber-One, and sunflower seeds in a large bowl.
- Once the oat mixture is done, remove it from the oven and reduce the heat to 300 degrees F.
- Add the toasted oat mixture to the large bowl with the other dry ingredients.
- Pour liquid mix into dry mix and thoroughly combine.
- Stir in the raisins and chocolate chips.
- Turn mixture out into the prepared baking dish and press down, evenly distributing the mixture in the dish (be sure to press very firmly. I used a bacon press) and place in the oven to bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven (I gave it another short pressing here) and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Cut into bars (leave in baking dish) and allow to finish cooling.
- Use a sheet pan to flip bars out and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Store in fridge.