Prep 2 hrs
Cook 6 mins
My grandmother's recipe for amazing cut outs. It's a tricky dough, but worth it in the end. They taste amazing with a buttercream icing. DO NOT USE MARGARINE! I have found that using margarine or butter in place of shortening makes the dough even trickier to handle.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter flavor shortening
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or 2 1⁄2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 6 cups flour
- Chill overnight.
- Roll out to about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. You'll need plenty of flour on the surface to keep the dough from sticking.
- Cut out cookies with your favorite cookie cutters.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 5-6 minutes.
Since there were no mixing instructions I just mixed it up like a cake batter. Cream shortening and sugar, add eggs and vanilla, add sifted dry ingredients alternating with the buttermilk. I halved the recipe and used half vanilla and half coconut extract...I really love coconut! I baked these in a cookie lollipop mold and not as cutouts. They taste great, but I'm not sure they would hold their shape. The dough was very soft and hard to work with, but the flavor was great so if the dough I have frozen holds its shape as a cutout these will be a real winner! Made for PAC fall 2012.
I loved these! I didn't have buttermilk so I just used powdered and it still turned out pretty well. My 3 year old cousin loved these. Will make them again!