Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Grannie lived to be 102 years old so we ate this delicious pie for decades and always asked for it again.
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 pinch salt
- lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Combine cornstarch and sugar in a double-boiler. Add water slowly, stirring constantly. Cook until thick and smooth.
- Add slightly beaten egg yolks, butter, lemon rind, juice and a few grains of salt. Cook 2 minutes.
- Pour into shell and cover with meringue made of egg whites and 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Bake @ 325 degrees for 20 minutes.
Mary, 5 stars for your Grannies Recipe. I *was* going to rate it 4 stars because you forgot to mention " a pie shell" in the ingredient list (which could mean someone comes home from their supermarket shopping without one)or that for people like me who have to make pastry, because no suitable pie shells are available ... I REALLY NEED an idea of a measurement to know what size dish to use please. In the end I made one pastry lot and put some in a large pie dish and some in a small one and then guessed by the amount of filling, (once made) which of the two to use.. in my case it was the small one, (approx 9 inches/22 cm round). The taste more than made up for the guesswork needed for the pan, and also the ease of making: for the filling especially as it was so quick and easy, so I decided on 5 stars instead of 4 and hope that you will amend your recipe to make things easier for others who would like to try this spendid dessert. I have made this twice recently and will be sure to make it more in the future. Thanks for sharing a wonderful recipe!!!