Recipe by Syscokidd
I received this recipe from a friend. Very good toffee. Placing here for safe keeping.
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons water
- 3 cups pecan halves (or enough to cover a cookie sheet that has 4 sides)
- 3 cups chocolate, cocoa light (discs of chocolate)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda (makes a less chewy break) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cover cookie sheet with heavy duty foil.
- Toast pecans at 350 F for 5-7 minutes.
- Arrange pecan halves in orderly rows on cookie sheet.
- Melt butter on medium heat in pan/pot.
- Add sugar and water.
- Boil at low/medium heat, stirring with wooden spoon or heat-resistant spatula until temp is approx 290/300°F.
- (Optional: Quickly stir in baking soda.).
- Pour quickly over nuts, spreading evenly with rubber spatula.
- Immediately spread 1-1/2 cup “cocoa light” over hot toffee.
- When cocoa starts melting, spread gently, but firmly, with spatula over entire surface.
- Place cookie sheet of toffee in refrigerator space.
- Leave until glaze is completely gone over the entire surface. (approx. 30 minutes).
- Heat water to boiling in bottom of double boiler.
- Melt second 1-1/2 cup of “cocoa light” in top of double boiler, stirring with regular tablespoon or spatula.
- Remove from refrigerator and turn toffee over onto the reverse side, intact.
- Pour melted cocoa over toffee, spreading with spatula.
- Place back in refrigerator until chocolate glaze is completely gone.
- Remove from refrigerator and break into pieces (do not cut).